7 Steps to Creating a Spring Capsule Wardrobe
There are several side effects that result from building the perfect Capsule Wardrobe, and they may vary from woman to woman. Here are the most common:
- (Way) less stressful mornings. And evenings. And weekends.
- More time to meditate, parent, read tabloids, eat bacon, watch bad TV, volunteer.
- A more confident you, whether you spend your days at an office, home-office, or playground.
- The ability to get dressed (and look cute) in the dark or when you’re so exhausted you just. can’t. be. bothered.
- Everything in your closet will magically go together to create lovely outfits. (Yes, it’s real magic.)
- You’ll find it gets easier to value what really matters in life – experiences, family, love. Not things.
- Feeling like YOU. Every single day.
Don’t just take it from us, real women everywhere are touting the benefits of streamlining their closets into hardworking Capsule Wardrobes. Some our favorite bloggers are all about it: Un-Fancy (who arguably started most of the buzz!), Where My Heart Resides, and even Apartment Therapy!
While living a Capsule Wardrobe life is easy, you may want a little help getting started and some how-to’s along the way.
We’re a bit less extreme than some; our editors (and staffers who have tried this out) recommend a new Capsule each season, after all, who doesn’t love changing it up a bit as the weather and vibes change?
Here are the basics:
- You’re going to want to pare down your wardrobe to 25-35 pieces each season (more on what they are later). Workout clothes and special occasion styles don’t count. Sell, store or donate items that didn’t make the cut.
- Choose a base color: Navy, gray, brown, or black.
- Choose two to three accent colors; they should make you happy, flatter your features, or both.
- Reach for brands you know typically work for your body type and are high quality.
- Refresh your capsule wardrobe seasonally.
- Pare down your shoes and accessories – again, all of your shoes and handbags should go with all of your clothes. It’s OK to make an exception for your lavender strappy Michael Kors platforms. You can live your life.
- Spend some time mixing and matching your wardrobe into different outfits. Snap photos with your phone to browse through as you plan out outfits for the week. Feeling ambitious? Take polaroids of your outfits and tack them up inside your closet.
Here’s exactly what you need!
You’re just a click away from a website we know of that has everything you need to build a Capsule from scratch with brands you love. Leave us a comment and let us know how your Capsule Wardrobe experiment is going – or ‘gram your looks with #thredUP and #capsulewardrobe.