7 Steps to Creating a Spring Capsule Wardrobe
There are several side effects that result from building the perfect Spring Capsule Wardrobe, and they may vary from woman to woman. Here are the most common:
- (Way) less stressful mornings. And evenings. And weekends.
- More time to meditate, parent, read tabloids, eat bacon, watch bad TV, volunteer.
- A more confident you, whether you spend your days at an office, home-office, or playground.
- The ability to get dressed (and look cute) in the dark or when you’re so exhausted you just. can’t. be. bothered.
- Everything in your closet will magically go together to create lovely outfits. (Yes, capsule wardrobes = real magic.)
- You’ll find it gets easier to value what really matters in life – experiences, family, love. Not things.
- Feeling like YOU. Every single day.
- The ability to create a capsule wardrobe for other seasons in record time. Transitioning from one season to the next has never felt so good.
Don’t just take it from us, real women everywhere are touting the benefits of streamlining their closets into hardworking Capsule Wardrobes. Some our favorite bloggers are all about it: Un-Fancy (who arguably started most of the buzz!), Where My Heart Resides, and even Apartment Therapy!
We here at thredUP, want to show you our favorite picks for a capsule wardrobe this spring and share some tips and tricks on how you should build yours!
How to Build a Spring Capsule Wardrobe
While living a Capsule Wardrobe life is easy, you may want a little help getting started and some how-to’s along the way.
We’re a bit less extreme than some; our editors (and staffers who have tried this out) recommend a new Capsule each season, after all, who doesn’t love changing it up a bit as the weather and vibes change?
Here are the basics to building your ultimate spring capsule wardrobe:
- Clean out your closet
You’re going to want to pare down your wardrobe to 25-35 pieces each season (more on what they are later). It would be much easier to do this with a leaner closet. Sell, store or donate items that didn’t make the cut.
- Choose one or two base colors
This will serve as the “base” color of your outfits. Choose neutral colors that you usually find yourself gravitating towards, such navy, gray, brown, black. These colors can be easily paired with any other color and work with any type of accessories!
- Choose 2-3 accent colors
Have fun with these colors! Choose colors that make you happy and flatter your features. The accent colors are what gives your outfit that extra pop!
- Choose your favorite brands
Reach for brands you know typically work for your body type and are high quality.
- Pare down shoes & accessories
Again, all of your shoes and handbags should go with all of your clothes. It’s OK to make an exception for your lavender strappy Michael Kors platforms. You can live your life.
- Plan your outfits
Spend some time mixing and matching your wardrobe into different outfits. Snap photos with your phone to browse through as you plan out outfits for the week. Feeling ambitious? Take polaroids of your outfits and tack them up inside your closet.
- Refresh your capsule seasonally!
Essentials for a Spring Capsule Wardrobe
If you’re still not sure what to include in your spring capsule wardrobe, we already curated a list of our must-have items to help you get started! Here’s exactly what you need:
1. Eight tops:
- sleeveless button down
- striped tee
- lace top
- lightweight pullover
2. Three jackets:
3. Three dresses:
- sheath dress
- floral print dress
- a-line dress
4. Six bottoms:
5. Six pairs of shoes:
6. Four handbags:
Leave us a comment and let us know how your Capsule Wardrobe experiment is going – or ‘gram your looks with #thredUP and #capsulewardrobe.