Bake Sales: Expectations Vs Reality
School is finally in full swing and the fundraising is just beginning. If you’re as excited for bake sales as your kids are for homework then read on! It’s our fun take on why the road to cupcakes isn’t always so sweet.
1. Shopping For Ingredients—Expectations: You’ll run to the store quick to pick up a few ingredients.
Shopping For Ingredients—Reality: Making sure you have enough options for the gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free kids at school. And carrying them to your car.
2. Prepping Your Ingredients—Expectation: You’ll make everything from scratch (and look great doing it).
Prepping Your Ingredients—Reality: Pillsbury is gluten-free and vegan, right?
Mixing The Ingredients—Expectation: You find chocolate chips in the dishwasher and wonder how they got there.
4. Time To Bake These Goods—Expectation: You are better than Gwyneth. You are better than Gwyneth.
Time To Bake These Goods—Reality: What does she know anyway?! Cupcake uncoupling.
5. Using Your Decorating Skills—Expectations: You are so glad you took a cake decorating class on a whim last year. You got this.
Using Your Decorating Skills—Reality: You are totally embracing your imperfections.
6. The Actual Bake Sale—Expectation: All your friends are going to come. They’ll buy two of everything. It’s going to be a perfect day!
The Actual Bake Sale—Reality: Maybe their transcendental meditation class is going over…
7. Sampling The Goods—Expectation: You won’t touch a thing. After all, you’ve already tried the dough and worked hard on the finished product. You don’t even want a cookie.
Sampling The Goods—Reality: You don’t work out every day for nothin’.
8. Fundraising—Expectation: You’ll raise so much money for your school! So worth it!
Fundraising—Reality: Every kid gets a new #2 pencil.
9. Post-Bake Sale—Expectation: After today, you’ll consider opening up your own bakery.
Post-Bake Sale—Reality: Maybe there’s a reason why your cookie jar at home is always full (despite the fact that you have three kids on sports teams).
What’s way better than a bake sale? thredUP for Schools! Sign up now to support education—for every purchase you make, we’ll donate 5% to a K-12 school of your choice. Now you can treat yourself and your school in a whole new way!