Festival Outfit Essentials: 15 Ways To Rock On In Style
Music festival season is almost upon us! Does saving up while experimenting with new styles sound like a plan to you? Then you came to the right place.
Half the fun of rocking out to your favorite artists is rocking your favorite new-to-you threads. However, after shelling out for your ticket, it can be a little hard to justify splurging on an outfit that you might only wear for a day. Read on for festival essentials that will help you streamline your spending, maximize your festival fashion, and stand out for all the right reasons – no culturally appropriative headdresses here!
Festival Outfit Essentials
- Off-the-shoulder tops: Flattering. Flowy. Oh-so versatile. An off-the-shoulder top is the funky staple you never knew you needed and the ideal addition to your festival arsenal. Trendy, wallet-friendly brands like Emma & Sam are a great place to start your off-the-shoulder experimentation. For a classic look, try pairing an off-the-shoulder top with pale denim bottoms. For a more bohemian look, style a cropped off-the-shoulder top with a high-waisted maxi skirt.
- Sunglasses: For that immediate cool-girl factor, there’s nothing better than a great pair of shades. When you’re out all day under the sun, these definitely lie at the intersection of style and necessity. Check out this handy guide to determine what shape works best for you! No matter what shape you go for, colored, mirrored lenses show no signs of going out of style anytime soon – try icy blues or greens to contrast tortoiseshell rims, or simple silver and gold against black frames.
- A solid pair of shoes: Cannot. Be. Stressed. Enough. When dancing and running around festival grounds all day, a good pair of shoes are your lifeline. Whether you’re in need of rain boots for muddy Glastonbury or canvas sneakers that can handle the dust of Coachella, it’s a wise move to snag like-new kicks that can be worn time and time again (and just get better with a bit of character that comes from roughing it around a music festival).
- Jumpsuits and rompers: We love when convenience meets badass style. Can’t find the right top to match to the right bottoms? Jumpsuits and rompers have got you covered from head to toe. Try layering a simple bodysuit underneath for an unexpected twist. This one-step outfit can be worn time and time again to carry you from concert to beach to meet-the-parents.
- Raingear: A little rain never hurt nobody… but last-minute garbage bag ponchos may not complement your otherwise chic outfit. Stay dry and stylish with a simple, chic raincoat or anorak that can be easily tied around your waist or stashed in your bag. Keep an eye out for brands like Lands’ End, LL Bean, The North Face, and Patagonia for high-quality raingear that will last you a lifetime.
- Vests: A long duster or short vest adds an unexpected level of depth to any outfit. Toss on a floaty white piece for a boho look or a shorter, fluffy piece for an edgier look.
- Relaxed pants: Boyfriend jeans, flare pants, wide-leg trousers, bell-bottoms, gauchos… the list goes on! For truly timeless, retro duds, opt for relaxed-fit pants that’ll keep you cool in warm temperatures and endlessly chic year-round with their subtle 1970s styling. Search within the Women’s Pants category for brands like Free People – known for their loose, throwback style.
- Backpacks, bucket bags, crossbody bags, fanny packs – you name it: An ideal festival bag is compact, cute, and capable of holding anything you might need (especially the real OGs of festival life: lots of snacks and water) while still giving you full range of motion to let your killer dance moves loose.
- Graphic tees: One of the best parts of shopping secondhand with thredUp is stumbling upon unique treasures. Whether you’re styling up a vintage band tee or wearing a simple reference to a favorite quote or team, you’re bound to stand out from the crowd.
- Scarves/wraps/shawls: Wear ’em around your neck, tied up in your hair, or woven through your belt loops! However you choose to style them, scarves and wraps add eye-catching boosts of color and pattern.
- Sports bras: Not just for the gym these days, sports bras have crossed over from strictly athletic wear to everyday necessities. Look for fun graphic colors and crisscrossing bands on sports bras by classic athletic brands like Lululemon for less than half the price of retail.
- Crochet-knit and mesh: Crochet has long been an enduring element of hippie-inspired festival clothing. Recently, crochet’s little sister, mesh, has been cropping up more than ever. Give your other layers a chance to peek through cheeky mesh tops and loose crochet knits.
- The perfect jacket: As any seasoned concert-goer knows, not all festival weather is created equal. Windy days and chilly nights will prompt you to toss on some cozy outerwear, but there’s no need to compromise your urban aesthetic when you opt for a functional and classically cool bomber jacket, or a jean jacket that only gets better with age. We love bombers and denim jackets so much, we made two whole sections devoted to them for you to browse.
- Trendy extras: A great outfit is all in the details. Tassels and embroidery can be fun additions on bags, shirts, dresses, etc. Hats are another trendy extra and overall festival essential. Whether you’re sporting a wide-brim sunhat or going for the solid-color baseball cap trend, it’s easy to top off your outfit with a functional and fashionable hat.
- Metallics: Metallics are a fresh, striking way of lightening up any outfit. Dip your toes (or any other part of your body) in this fun trend this festival season for an otherworldly look that goes perfectly with space buns.
Now with a slew of new ideas at your disposal, get ready to make this your best festival season yet – one that’s full of clothing you’ll be sure to wear more than once. And go ahead and take lots of blurry pics of Beyoncé while you’re at it, we know we’ll be trying to too.
What music festivals are you looking forward to this spring and summer? Let us know in the comments!