Spring Cleaning 365: Our Top Clean Out Tips
In the world of fast fashion and ever-changing style trends, it’s so easy to accumulate more than you need. Whether your closet is busting at the seams, you’re moving to a smaller place, or you just want to simplify your life, you will benefit from a closet cleanout.
These 8 practical tips will teach you how to clean and organize your closet.
- Let go of clothes that still have tags. If you haven’t cut the tags off yet, you’re probably not that excited about the clothes. Let these items go with a clean conscience.
- Get rid of anything you haven’t worn in a year. If you haven’t worn an item of clothing in a year, chances are you probably won’t wear it ever. Perhaps you’ve outgrown it or it’s just not your style anymore. Either way, these items are taking up extra space.
- Discard any duplicates. It’s not uncommon for us to double-up on classic clothing pieces like blue jeans, black skirts, and white shirts. When you spot those duplicates, keep only the ones you like best.
- Try on anything you’re unsure about. If you’re not sure whether to keep or discard a piece of clothing, try it on in front of a full-length mirror. Give yourself an honest assessment, paying attention to how the item fits, whether the colors flatter your complexion, and how it makes you feel.
- Swap to slim flocked hangers. Slim flocked hangers are a closet game-changer. They take up far less space than traditional hangers and will give you more room in your closet!
- Get a shoe rack. A shoe rack or another kind of footwear organizer is essential for any closet. Not only will it keep your shoes organized, it’ll also keep you from buying more shoes than you really need. If you have more pairs than a shoe rack holds, it’s time to make tough decisions and give some up.
- Store off-season clothes. You might wear your favorite woolen coat and knit sweaters a lot in winter, but they probably don’t see a lot of action in the summer months. Store off-season clothes in storage tubs to reclaim some closet space.
- Revisit your closet in 12 months. Cleaning out your closet should be a regular job to make sure your clothes reflect your current tastes. Turn your hangers so they face the same way, then turn a hanger around when you wear something. In 12 months’ time you can easily see what items have gotten use and which ones you need to purge.
Order a Clean Out Kit today to help you organize and simplify your life. Do you have go-to tips we should know about? Let us know if the comments below!